The Engineering Division responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the planning, engineering design and construction of the City's five-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP)
- Identifying needed projects to improve and maintain streets, construct water lines to increase system capacity, rehabilitate existing infrastructure and address drainage issues, construct sanitary sewer lines and construct sidewalks and trails
- Reviewing and approving all engineering design plans for public improvements in new residential and commercial developments
- Reviewing design plans for compliance with ordinances, standard construction details, state and federal laws and sound engineering practices
- Negotiating inter-local agreements with outside agencies to improve service delivery
- Overseeing a variety of contracts, such as contracts with utilities for water and contracts with cellular providers for lease space on City water towers
The Engineering Inspections Division works closely with the engineering team to provide input regarding the constructability of engineering designs. The engineering inspectors enforce public works related ordinances and ensure construction occurs per "released for construction" plans. They also inspect, approve percentage of work completed and approve contractor payments throughout the project construction phase. The division responds to resident inquiries and complaints regarding construction, post-construction clean-up and site rehabilitation.