Driving Safety Course
Requesting the Driving Safety Course Option for Moving Violations
Terms of Driving Safety Course
- Plea of 'guilty' or 'no contest' and waiver of jury trial and right to discovery.
- 90 days to complete a 6-hour Driving Safety Course and submit proof of such to the court. Order and submit a certified copy of your driver record.
- Cost: $144 for regular zone violations or $169 for school zone violations.
Note: Costs for this option are different for citations issued prior to
January 1st, 2020. Please contact the court for further information.
- The cost of the course and certified Driver Record are additional. Online courses typically cost $25-$40; Driver records are $12.00.
- You are at least 17 years of age
- You have current liability insurance and a valid Texas drivers license
- You have not taken a Driving Safety Course within the last 12 months to dispose of a citation (calculated from the date of the last course completed to the date of your current citation)
- You do not possess a Commercial Drivers License
- You are not charged with speeding in excess of 24 mph over the limit, speeding 95 miles per hour or more, nor with a construction zone violation
A request for this option must be submitted to the court prior to course completion. A 90-day window to complete the course begins when your request is approved by the court.
Ways to Request
If you are eligible, you may request to complete the driving safety course in the following ways:
- In person at the Southlake Municipal Court
Please bring a valid drivers license, proof of auto insurance and form of payment (cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, Discover card, or American Express).
- Mail in a copy of your valid Texas drivers license, a copy of your auto insurance proof, a notarized Drivers Safety Course Affidavit along with form of payment (Check or money order made payable to 'City of Southlake').
- Via the Payment Website
a) Fill out the request form (citation brochure or here on this website).
b) Create a digital file (photo or scan) of your request form, Driver's License, and proof of insurance (policy must list you as an insured driver).
c) Go to the payment website. Search for and locate your citation, follow the prompts to select the Driving Safety Course option. The website will prompt you to upload your three documents and then pay the fee of $144 ($169 school zone offense).