Home Fire Safety Tips

Don't wonder what you would do in a fire emergency - know! Fire is the fourth largest accidental killer in the United States. It is also the disaster that families are most likely to experience. Is your home fire safe?

Kitchen Fire Safety

Watch what you put on the stove. An electric coil reaches a temperature of 800 degrees. A gas flame goes over 1000 degrees. Your dishtowel or potholder can catch fire at only 400 degrees. So can your bathrobe, apron, or other loose clothing! You should never put anything on the stove you don't want to heat and never leave cooking unattended. Clean exhaust hood and duct over the stove regularly. Wipe up spilled grease as soon as the stove's surface is cool. Keep a fire extinguisher mounted nearby. Watch your children closely while in the kitchen; keep all pot handles pointed toward the back of the stove and use back burners whenever possible. Never pour water on a grease fire-it scatters the flame. Cover the pot with a lid or close the oven door and turn the stove/oven off. 

Fire Extinguisher

Learn how to use your fire extinguisher before there is an emergency. Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, garage and workshop. Purchase an ABC type for extinguishing all types of fires. Remember, use extinguishers on small fires only. If there is a large fire, get out immediately and call your fire department.

The Fire Department offers fire extinguisher training to residents and business owners.  If you would like to schedule a class, please contact Valerie Snyder at (817) 748-8173.

Smoke Alarms

Install a smoke alarm on each level of your home or apartment and in every sleeping area. Smoke is responsible for 3 out of 4 fire deaths. Keep smoke alarms dust-free and change batteries at least once a year. Test all smoke alarms once a month.

Wiring/Extension Cords

In many older homes, the capacity of the wiring system has not kept pace with today's modern appliances. Overloaded electrical systems invite fire. Watch for those overloaded signals and dimming lights when an appliance goes on.  Slow-heating appliances (like a toaster.) Fuses blowing frequently. Check for frayed insulation, damaged cords, loose connections, and loose wall receptacles.

Clothes Dryers

Never put synthetic fabrics, plastic, rubber, or foam in your dryer because they retain heat. Clean the lint screen before and after use. Dryers must be vented to the outside and plugged into their own outlet. Never leave home with the dryer running

In Case of Fire

The first thing is not to panic—open doors carefully only after feeling them to see if they are hot. Stay close to the floor as smoke and hot gases rise. Breathe through a cloth and take short, shallow breaths. Follow your pre-planned escape route. Remember, being prepared could save your life and those you love!