Zoning Board of Adjustment
The purpose of the Zoning Board of Adjustment is to act as an escape valve for the consideration of individual site requests for relief from the literal interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The board determines if the administrative official has created an error in the interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance. The board has the authority to grant relief to the literal enforcement of provisions of the Zoning Ordinance on a case-by-case basis provided that the board finds that the variance will be in harmony with the general purpose and intent of the zoning ordinance, will not be injurious to the neighborhood or detrimental to the public welfare, and if the applicant can demonstrate:
- That special conditions and circumstances exist which make the land, structure or building unique from others in the same district.
- That literal interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance would deprive the applicant of rights commonly enjoyed by others in the same district.
- That special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant. The hardship cannot be self-created.
- That granting of the variance will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the ordinance to others in the same district.
The board also has the authority to grant a use that is not permitted by right in a zoning district, but one that the City Council has authorized the board to consider in certain districts, under certain conditions and clearly defined on the plan submitted with the application and one that is wholly compatible with the use and permitted development of adjacent properties.
The board reviews the status of nonconforming uses and permits the reconstruction of nonconforming uses, the resumption of abandoned nonconforming uses, or the discontinuance or amortization of nonconforming uses.
Finally, the board also has the authority to grant relief to the literal enforcement of provisions of the Airport Compatible Land Use Overlay Zone Zoning Ordinance on a case-by-case basis provided that the board finds that the variance will be in harmony with the general purpose and intent of the ordinance. (Rules of Procedure)
- 6:30 p.m.
- Second and fourth Thursday (following the first Tuesday) of every month
- Southlake Town Hall
1400 Main Street
- Public welcome to attend all meetings
Members are appointed to a two-year term, unless appointed to fulfill an existing vacancy. Members serve at the will of Council and shall continue to serve until their successors are duly appointed and sworn into office.
Residents interested in serving on this board shall complete an application and submit it to the City Secretary no later than May 1. Applications will remain on file for one year.
If you have any questions on the appointment process, please contact the City Secretary’s Office at (817) 748-8183.
All correspondence for the Zoning Board of Adjustment shall be sent to:
Zoning Board of Adjustment
c/o City of Southlake
1400 Main Street, Suite 310
Southlake, Texas 76092
Agendas & Minutes
The agenda will be available by 6:00 p.m. on the Friday prior to the meeting. View All
Minutes are available following approval.