Stormwater Management for Construction Sites and Developments

Construction Sites

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) regulates construction sites through the Construction General Permit. While all construction sites are regulated and monitored for illegal discharges, certain smaller projects are not required to submit a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP).

Because the TCEQ requires that cities regulate construction site stormwater discharges, the City of Southlake requires that all permittees complete the SWPPP Pre-Application form for review by Public Works Administration. 

Please be prepared to answer the following: 

  • Name and contact information of the permittee.
  • The number of acre(s) to be disturbed and a determination of whether the construction site is part of a Common Plan of Development
  • Where required, the Construction General Permit number is issued by the TCEQ.

What Happens After the SWPPP Pre-Application Form is Filled Out?

The City of Southlake will review the information provided and make a determination if a SWPPP is required within 10 business days, at which point you will be notified via the email address submitted. 

If a SWPPP is required for a project, you may submit the SWPPP to the Public Works Department by sending a digital copy (via PDF) through email or a file-sharing device to Madisson Dunn.

Upon review and approval of the SWPPP, the City of Southlake will provide you a letter of acceptance for use in all permitting processes. 

New Development and Redevelopment Sites

As part of the City’s Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP), Southlake is required to implement a Post-Construction Stormwater Management program. Ordinance 1268 adopted a post-construction stormwater management program through establishment of minimum stormwater facility standards and identification of long-term maintenance responsibility for stormwater structures.

All development and redevelopment occurring after April 1, 2023 must:

  • File a stormwater maintenance agreement with the county for any privately maintained stormwater facilities prior to City acceptance. The Maintenance Agreement must include maintenance logs and inspection reports for monthly, semiannual, and annual tasks.
  • Apply for and receive a MS4 permit. This can be achieved through the City's Customer Self Service portal.

Any ownership transfers must be submitted in writing to the Environmental Services division and should include the new owner contact information and a signature statement acknowledging transfer of maintenance responsibilities.

Sedimented water in stormwater infrastructure