Metroport Teen Court is a diversionary program designed to provide youth offenders an opportunity to actively make amends for their violations through community service and participation in juries with their peers. We desire to instill a sense of community promoting responsible behavior that will lead to a successful future.
Metroport Teen Court provides a second chance for youth offenders by participating in a highly effective learning environment. We offer educational opportunities about the justice system through jury service and positive peer influence. We provide abundant opportunities for teens to volunteer with local non-profit organizations so they may make restitution to the community. In addition, the program promotes strong youth leadership in our teen attorney program under the direction of highly experience law professionals.
Teens must meet all of the criteria below in order to be eligible for Teen Court:
- Teens who receive a citation for a Class C misdemeanor
- Ages 12-19 years old
- Is currently enrolled in secondary school of education (middle school or high school).
- Has not completed a Teen Court program anywhere in the state of Texas in the last 12 months.
- Must enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest)
- Pay a $20 fee per violation (ex: 2 violations on a citation will cost $40)