Running for Office
The governing and lawmaking body of the city shall consist of the mayor and six council members who shall be elected for terms of three years unless otherwise noted. All places, including the mayor, will be elected at large. No person shall serve as mayor or as a council member for more than two successive elected terms. A term of office shall be defined as an elected period of three years unless otherwise noted.
(1) be at least 21 years of age;
(2) be a citizen of the United States;
(3) be a qualified voter of the City;
(4) reside and have resided for at least twelve (12) months preceding the election within the corporate limits of the City;
(5) no candidate may file for more than one office or position number per election;
(6) no employee of the City shall continue in such position after becoming a candidate for an elective office.
In accordance with state law, the City Secretary's Office will accept applications from qualified persons interested in running for an elected office during the "filing period".
State law identifies the filing period as:
First day to file an application for place on ballot - 108th day before election
Last day to file an application for place on ballot - 78th day before election
During the "filing period", qualified persons may file as a candidate between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays at the City Secretary's Office at Town Hall, 1400 Main Street, Southlake, TX 76092. Candidates may also file via email Amy Shelley.
For additional information about City elections, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 817-748-8183.