Police Lateral Hiring Program
Please read the information and application instructions listed below to see if you qualify for this program. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Sergeant Mike Dunn at (817) 748-8134 or via email.
The following requirements must be met in order to be considered for the lateral hiring program:
- Applicants must have at least 36 months of continuous service as a paid, full-time certified peace officer to be considered for the lateral hiring program.
- Out of state applicants must challenge and pass the TCOLE state exam before a final job offer is made by the Southlake Police Department.
- Applicants must have no more than a 90-day break in service from the time they separated from a comparable law enforcement agency (if applicable).
- Must have a valid Texas Driver's license at the time of hire.
- Must be licensed by the Texas Commission in Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- Police Officer (certified, 36 - 71 months of experience) $63,636.58
- Police Officer (certified, 72 - 119 months of experience) $67,480.17
- Police Officer (certified, 120+ months of experience) $72,772.13
The Southlake Police Department also offers certification pay, as follows:
- Intermediate - $60 per month
- Advanced - $100 per month
- Master's - $125 per month
- Duration of process is approximately 5 weeks.
- Complete and submit a Personal History Statement (PHS)
- Qualified applicants are invited to participate in:
- General knowledge written exam, and
- interview with Southlake PD Hiring Board
- Upon successful completion of above-listed testing, applicants are subject to an extensive background check.
- One background is passed, applicant receives conditional job offer contingent upon successful completion of:
- Polygraph exam
- Psychological exam, and
- Applicant receives final job offer once all testing is successfully completed.
Personal History Statement
- PHS form is required to apply for this position
- Click on "Personal History Statement" button above to complete
- PHS must be completed in its entirety to be considered for employment.
- All notarized and certified copies of all applicable certifications must be included.
- If, at any time, the applicant fails to meet the eligibility requirements, chooses to discontinue the application process before rejection/selection, or is placed on an eligibility listed that has expired, the applicant may reapply at any future employment process, whenever such eligibility requirements are met.
- Any applicant who is reapplying must submit a new application form and complete the entire process as if no prior application processing or testing has been conducted. No scores from the previous testing may be used in any reapplication process.