Forms Utilized by Candidates
Texas Election Law is very specific in many areas and the following forms and publications are included in the candidate packet.
Forms to file to declare candidacy -
Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form CTA - Instruction Guide)
- The CTA form is to be filed with the City Secretary. In accordance with Texas Law, you must designate a Campaign Treasurer before any funds can be expended and before candidate accepts campaign contributions. You may name yourself as treasurer.
- Your subscription to this Code is voluntary and if you elect to subscribe, the form should be filed with the City Secretary.
Campaign Finance Forms -
Once a candidate files an application with the City Secretary, the following forms may be utilized during the campaign.
Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report (Form C/OH - Instruction Guide)
- These forms are to be filed with the City Secretary on dates specified on the form.
- There is a modified reporting statement for those candidates not planning to spend more than $500.00. Candidates are encouraged to pay close attention to their expense forms. Per Texas Law, these forms are considered public record.
- The Texas Ethics Commission is responsible for interpreting Campaign Finance Law (Title 15). You may direct questions about campaign finance law to the Ethics Commission at 512-463-5800. Information may also be accessed at the Ethics Commission website at www.ethics.state.tx.us.
Candidate/Officeholder Report of Unexpended Contributions (Form C/OH-UC - Instruction Guide)
Correction Affidavit for Candidate/Officeholder (Form COR-C/OH)
Amendment to Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form ACTA - Instruction Guide)
Designation of Final Report (Form C/OH)
- This form is to be filed at the end of the election or when you are no longer receiving or spending political contributions. The final report form is included with (Form C/OH) and is designated as form C/OH-FR. Please refer to the C/OH Instruction Guide, which explains how to complete this form.
Title 15 of the Texas Election Code by the Texas Ethics Commission
- This information pertains to the filing requirements of campaign expenditure reports. Title 15 also contains regulations on political advertising.
Texas Ethics Commission Publications
Campaign Finance Filing Guide for Candidates and Officeholders
Political Advertising - What You Need to Know
The above forms are filed with the City Secretary, and as such, the City Secretary serves only as the custodian of the records for the benefit and convenience of the public. The City Secretary does not have any duty to determine the sufficiency or timeliness of the statements and does not have the authority to refuse to accept a statement for filing on either of these grounds. If you have questions or concerns regarding campaign reporting please contact the Texas Ethics Commission at 512.463.5800.