Forms Utilized by Candidates
Texas Election Law is very specific in many areas and the following forms and publications are included in the candidate packet. A complete listing of the candidate packet is at the bottom of this page.
Forms to File to Declare CandidacyApplication for a Place on the Ballot
Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form CTA - Instruction Guide)
- The CTA form is to be filed with the City Secretary. In accordance with Texas Law, you must designate a Campaign Treasurer before any funds can be expended and before candidate accepts campaign contributions. You may name yourself as treasurer.
Code of Fair Campaign Practices [Texas Ethics Commission] and Chapter 258 [Election Code]
- Your subscription to this Code is voluntary and if you elect to subscribe, the form should be filed with the City Secretary.
Campaign Finance Forms
Once a candidate files an application with the City Secretary, the following forms may be utilized during the campaign.
Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report (Form C/OH - Instruction Guide)
- These forms are to be filed with the City Secretary on dates specified on the form.
- There is a modified reporting statement for those candidates not planning to spend more than $500.00. Candidates are encouraged to pay close attention to their expense forms. Per Texas Law, these forms are considered public record.
- The Texas Ethics Commission is responsible for interpreting Campaign Finance Law (Title 15). You may direct questions about campaign finance law to the Ethics Commission at 512-463-5800. Information may also be accessed at the Ethics Commission website at www.ethics.state.tx.us.
Candidate/Officeholder Report of Unexpended Contributions (Form C/OH-UC - Instruction Guide)
Correction Affidavit for Candidate/Officeholder (Form COR-C/OH)
Amendment to Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form ACTA - Instruction Guide)
Designation of Final Report (Form C/OH)
- This form is to be filed at the end of the election or when you are no longer receiving or spending political contributions. The final report form is included with (Form C/OH) and is designated as Form C/OH-FR. Please refer to the C/OH Instruction Guide, which explains how to complete this form.
Title 15 of the Texas Election Code by the Texas Ethics Commission
- This information pertains to the filing requirements of campaign expenditure reports. Title 15 also contains regulations on political advertising.
Section 1. Candidate Packet Letter
Candidate Packet Items
Section 2. Important Dates 2023
Section 3. Application for a place on the ballot
Section 4. Release of Personal Information Affidavit
Section 5. Form CTA - Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer - Instruction Guide
Section 6. Form CTA - Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer
Section 7. Form ACTA - Amendment of Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer
Section 8. Form CFCP - Code of Fair Campaign Practices
Section 9. Fair Campaign Practices Act, Chapter 258, Election Code
Section 10. Form COH - Campaign Finance Report - Instruction Guide
Section 11. Form COH - Campaign Finance Report
Section 12. Campaign Finance Guide for Candidates and Office Holders Who File with Local Filing Authorities
Section 13. Title 15, Election Code
Section 14. First Steps for Candidates Running for a City Office
Section 15. Certificate of Withdrawal
Section 16. Texas Ethics Commission Political Advertising Guide - What You Need to Know
Section 17. Political Fundraisers - What You Need to Know
The above forms are filed with the City Secretary, and as such, the City Secretary serves only as the custodian of the records for the benefit and convenience of the public. The City Secretary does not have any duty to determine the sufficiency or timeliness of the statements and does not have the authority to refuse to accept a statement for filing on either of these grounds. If you have questions or concerns regarding campaign reporting please contact the Texas Ethics Commission at 512.463.5800.