This summer, grab your library card and take a hike to Camp Big Read, the 2017 Southlake Public Library Summer Reading Program. The library will host a camp-inspired kick off event on Saturday, June 3 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Family Park in Southlake Town Square. With free admission, the entire family can enjoy an evening of live entertainment, a giant tipi, games, activities, refreshments and more.
During the kick off event, kid-friendly Big Bang Boom will perform pop music as part of the MasterWorks Music Series. Composed of musicians who are also dads, the popular entertainers will play a mix of covers and original songs.
In keeping with the camping-theme, the Tipi Storytellers will bring a 28 foot-high tipi, and will share stories and understanding of Native American culture. The giant tipi and ancient tales will offer guests a fascinating perspective on our nation’s history.
Camping would not be complete without snacks. Rita’s Italian Ice will be on-site to provide 1,000 free Italian ice treats and the Southlake Library will offer an activity for children to help build a traditional campfire favorite—s’mores.
With camp-themed photo ops, crafts, make-your-own-bubbles, hula hoops, corn hole, and other activities for children, everyone will be a happy camper at the kick-off of Camp Big Read. With the Southlake Public Library as a partner in education, kids can keep their reading skills sharp as an arrow all summer long.
The Southlake Public Library Summer Reading Program will span from June 3 to August 11. Appropriate for children ages 5-12 years old, the program rewards readers for logging their reading hours and offers engaging and educational activities for kids almost every day during the 10-week program.
A few Camp Big Read program highlights include:
- Storytelling Workshop—June 12-14 from 10:00-11:30 a.m., with a storytelling performance on June 14 at 6:30 p.m. Ages 6-12 years old.
- Coding Camp—June 19-22 from 8:00-10:15 a.m. Instructors will lead the group on music and sound programming using Google CS First. Some coding experience suggested. Limited space, registration required. Ages 10+ years old.
- Friday Flicks—every Friday June 19-August 11 at 2:00 p.m. in the library. Snacks provided. See the library website for titles. All ages.
- Fort Worth Science & History Museum “Discovery Labs”—June 7, July 19 & July 26 at 2:00 p.m. Registration required. Additional hands-on science program on June 28 at 2:00 p.m. Ages 8+ years old.
- Camp Art with ARThouse of Southlake—June 5, June 19, July 17, July 31 & August 7 at 11:00 a.m. Ages 5+ years old.
- Circle Up for the End of Camp Big Read—August 11 at 11:00 a.m. Camp treats, camp stories, and a campy good time.
Any little campers who want to join Camp Big Read this summer must first register in the library or online at SouthlakeLibrary.com. For additional details and information about these and other programs and activities designed for preschoolers, teens and adults, visit the library’s Summer Program Schedule page.